'Tis the season for all things holiday, and that means lots and lots of Christmas ornaments! Ornaments always make great homemade gifts, and they're great crafts to make with adults or children. This simple dough made with Aleene's Tacky Glue and cornstarch is the perfect way to make unique Christmas ornaments that you can customize with cookie cutters, paint and stamps to make them truly your own. Try one of these five techniques for making Christmas ornaments with Tacky Glue dough!
What you need:
- Aleene's Tacky Glue
- Measuring cups
- Cookie cutters
Step 1: Combine two parts cornstarch and one part Aleene's Tacky Glue (or 1 cup cornstarch with 1/2 cup glue) and mix well for 5+ minutes until a dough forms. If it's too sticky, add more cornstarch, or if it's too dry, add more glue. It should become smooth like a clay.
Step 2: Roll a section of dough with your hands and roll flat with a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick.
Step 3: Cut out shapes with cookie cutters, emboss with stamps, paint the dough while wet or tint the dough with paint in a plastic bag to create unique ornaments like these:
- Cactus Ornament: Use a cactus cookie cutter to cut the shape out of dough. Paint with green and coat with green glitter.
- Punny Embossed Ornament: Add dough and paint to a plastic bag and mold until dough is marbled. Use small alphabet stamps to press a punny saying into a circle or oval ornament and paint over the words to bolden.
- Flamingo Ornament: Use a flamingo cookie cutter to cut the shape out of dough. Paint with pink, white and black paint.
- Photo Frame Ornament: Cut a large oval out of dough, then cut a smaller oval out of the middle to create a frame. Decorate with any of the above techniques. Then glue a photo to the back of the frame shape with Tacky Glue.
- Emoji Ornament: Paint a circle ornament to look like your favorite emoji.
Step 4: Use the straw to cut a hole in the top of the ornament where it will hang.
Step 5: Set dough aside to dry out completely for at least 24 hours.
Step 6: Once dough has hardened, thread string through the holes in the ornaments and tie.